What Should I Do if I Am Injured at Work?

What To Do If Injured At Work

Steps to Take After Getting Hurt While on the Job

If you were hurt on the job, or if you became ill due to work-related circumstances, you may be eligible for workers’ compensation benefits. In Minnesota, the workers’ compensation system covers you if you suffer a:

  • Traumatic injury
  • Aggravated/accelerated injury
  • Occupational disease

So if you were hurt while performing activities related to your job, or if you believe a medical condition has occurred or been made worse due to your work, you can apply for work comp benefits.

Your First Steps After Getting Hurt on the Job

To get the workers’ compensation process started, you need to take these steps:

  • Report your work-related injury or illness to your employer. Make this report as soon as possible after your injury. Or, if you have sustained a gradual injury or are now suffering from an occupational illness, advise your employer as soon as you believe that the injury or illness was caused or accelerated by your work. Your employer must then file the First Report of Injury form with the Minnesota Department of Labor & Industry (DLI).
  • Seek medical treatment. Do not delay in seeking appropriate medical care for your injury or illness. When you get to the emergency room or clinic, be sure to notify the doctor that your injury or illness is work related. Once you begin treatment, do not stop. Follow all of your doctor’s orders. Failure to maintain treatment or follow your treatment plan can cause delay or denial of your workers’ comp benefits.
  • Keep your employer updated on your situation. If you require time off to recover from your job-related illness or injury, make sure you tell your employer that as soon as possible. Also, inform your employer of your expected return-to-work date and any potential work restrictions that you may have. Finally, turn in the Report of Work Ability form that your doctor completed.
Request Your Free Consultation

By clicking ‘Submit’ I verify that I have read the disclaimer.

Still Have Questions?
Call a Workers’ Comp Lawyer at Our Firm

If you have followed these steps and still have questions about what you should do next, reach out to an experienced workers’ compensation benefits lawyer. Reach out to attorney Dan Brazil. You can call our Minneapolis law firm at 612-874-6109 or you can reach us via email to schedule a free consultation.