5 Common Injuries Resulting From Pedestrian Accidents
Injuries resulting from a car accident can be traumatic. Yet, the injuries sustained by pedestrians involved in an accident can be even more so. Pedestrians don’t have any kind of protection that a vehicle can provide. As a result, serious injuries are much more common.
5 Common Injuries You May Experience After a Pedestrian Accident
Pedestrians are often struck by motor vehicles while walking through crosswalks or on nearby sidewalks. They’re also often struck in parking lots and while running on busy streets. Some of the most common injuries due to these accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injuries: Injuries such as concussions can be life-altering. Most of the time, these injuries are due to pedestrians suffering a blow directly to the head. Many suffer continued symptoms such as dizziness, depression and headaches.
- Broken bones: Direct trauma can also result in broken bones in the arms, legs, shoulders, hands and wrists. It’s also common for pedestrians to experience serious spine fractures.
- Spinal cord injuries: Injuries to the spine can result in severe paralysis or even death. Typically, these injuries require long-term care.
- Amputations: Some broken bones, burns and other injuries must be treated through amputation of the damaged limb. It’s also possible for pedestrians to suffer involuntary amputation during an accident.
- Soft tissue damage: Soft tissue damage ranges from dislocations to severe lacerations. Often, these injuries result in lasting pain and scarring.
Many Accidents Lead to Death
Many pedestrian accidents are fatal due to the severity of injuries. In fact, according to the Governors Highway Safety Association, more than 6,500 pedestrians were killed on US roads in 2019.
What to Do If You’re Injured After an Accident
If you suffer an accident as a pedestrian and find yourself injured, there are some critical steps you should take. To start, get immediate medical treatment. Some injuries, such as concussions, may not show up until much later.
Then, reach out to a personal injury attorney before speaking with your insurance company or any other party. An attorney can instruct you on how to communicate with your insurance company so that your rights are protected.
Reach Out to a Professional Personal Injury Attorney for Help
If you’ve been injured in a pedestrian accident, you may be entitled to compensation to help pay for your care. We know this is a traumatic experience—let us help. Reach out to the Brazil Law Group team by sending us a message.